Tuesday, April 7, 2015

So much great Sinatra stuff . . .

. . . from Mark Steyn, Bob Belvedere, and Evil Blogger Lady. After Holy Week and Easter, I've got a little catching up to do.

Mark adds a couple of big ones to his Sinatra Century hit parade, providing fascinating background and musical analysis on the wrist-cutter "I'm A Fool To Want You" (more on that later) and Cole Porter's fabulously fabulous "I Get A Kick Out Of You" (and more on that, much later).

All four of Bob's latest honorable mentions have made my list: "Blue Skies" (#93) and "Nevertheless" (#87), along with Jerome Kern's and Dorothy Fields' delightful "A Fine Romance" and Cole Porter's great "From This Moment On." Bob's latest top-100 picks include one that wasn't even on my radar ("Sweet Lorraine" - lots of fun), one that I consider "just okay," and a third that has ascended into the rarefied air of my top twenty. Stay tuned.

EBL takes a look at "Where Or When" (my #91) and posts some gorgeous photos of Frank and Ava and some covers of the song by Peggy Lee and others. Don't miss EBL's videos of Frank singing "Easter Parade," "All Or Nothing At All," and Cole Porter's "Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love") (not to be confused with Harold Arlen's and Ted Koehler's "Let's Fall In Love" (a fave I'll be listing later in the year).

So much Sinatra, so little time. Enjoy. 


4 comments:

  1. Yes...as is listed in the right-hand column below my #65 is 'Be Careful, It's My Hat'.

    It has been said that Frank insisted on recording this unusual tune after Ava sat on his most beloved fedora. Of course, Frank being Frank [who else could he be?...Dino???], he infused the song with a double layer of meaning: on the surface it's about a well-regarded chapeau, but really it's about Ava eating Saltines in bed.

    FYI: For the non-Sinatraphiles, this recording may be found on the album, Come Fez With Me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for a full-length parody.

      Delete
  2. BTW, Jill, please leave the misspelling, please, please. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh noooooooo. That's too good to fix right away.

    ReplyDelete