Saturday, March 14, 2015

A few that didn't make it

Now that I've gotten through the first twenty songs on my list, I'm going to follow Bob Belvedere's example and showcase some that would have made a longer list, say, Sinatra's top 150 recordings. When it comes to Frank Sinatra, choosing a mere 100 favorites is painfully limiting, and settling on the bottom twenty has been a bit of a struggle for me. Regrets, I have a few, but then again . . . they're all good, right? Among the also-rans:

"My Kind of Town"
My test of a "favorite" song is the urge to listen to it over and over. I've never felt that urge with this one. But it's hard not to get into the swing of things once Frank gets going. He sure knew how to sell it and his audiences loved it. I'm partial to this version from A Man and His Music.

"My Kind of Girl"
A really fun song, though for me, the minute-and-twenty-seconds-long instrumental section in the middle is too long. But Frank and the band finish very strong. It's from Sinatra-Basie.

"Please Be Kind"
Another great swinger from Sinatra-Basie.

"More"
Yet another fine collaboration with Basie and co, this time from It Might As Well Be Swing.

"All My Tomorrows"
This is a lovely song that was brought to my attention by Mark Steyn in his audio tribute to Sammy Cahn. I promptly forgot about it (even though I have it on the Capitol Singles Collection) and remembered it again a couple of months ago when I listened to the podcast again. I just love the line "But I've got rainbows planned for tomorrow."



No comments:

Post a Comment